You have big trouble losing weight and you heard of Keto Diet. But you have no information on what it is or if its really gonna help you. Well, don’t worry Ladies! Your favorite author has brought you a Keto diet 101 guide.
Our editors also previously tried a really cool diet, initially followed by Beyonce, make sure to check that out as well!
So buckle up and stay till the end of the article, there is a surprise waiting for you!
Keto Diet 101: Background Info
If you want to understand exactly how this diet works, you’ll need to get the basics, the Dos & Donts, and of course proof of how it helped other people.
What is Keto?
The keto diet or the Ketogenic diet is a low-carb, high-fat diet. Which is exactly why people like it. They don’t have to give up a lot of products. They can eat cheese and fat-filled veggies and fruits such as avocados.
It works by reducing carbohydrates and replacing them with fat. Which puts your body into a metabolic state called Ketosis.
In the case of Ketosis, your body becomes efficient at burning fat and using it as an energy supply.
Those right there were Keto diet 101 basic infos.
Any health benefits besides weight loss?
Yes. In addition to helping shed the excess weight, Keto diet proved itself to be useful for other health matters as well. Some are specific to women, but others are more general
Let me list the benefits of Keto diet for women:
- Study suggests that it can help women with PCOS to increase their fertility.
- Helathy fats consumption eases period cramps.
- Keto diets are beneficial in reducing some menopause symptoms like irritability.
- Great for people with type 2 diabetes: After a group of people with the disease tried the Keto diet, 7 out of 21 participants were able to stop taking medication alltogether.
Celebrities go-to health ally
Celebrities are the ones that started the trend, which earned it more and more attention from the public.
A few female celebs mentioned Keto when they were asked about their diet plans. The ever gorgeous Halle Berry stated that it has been a great factor in her overall health.
Kourtney Kardashian is also a fan of the keto diet for women, she had shared on her app what her meals look like when she is on this diet plan:
” I would make broccoli rice or cauliflower rice to at least feel like I was eating some carbs. Then I would add protein, so I often ate grilled chicken and fish over broccoli rice, cauliflower rice or spaghetti squash. I mixed in roasted vegetables, fresh salads with homemade dressing, and smoothies made with avocados and bananas. “
Keto Diet 101: Important Disclamer
Although the keto diet for women is safe for healthy people, there may be some initial side effects while your body adapts. Which is very normal and there is nothing to worry about.
These include what’s known as the keto flu, which usually only lasts for a few days.
Keto diet 101: The keto flu walks hand in hand with poor energy and mental function, increased hunger, sleep issues, nausea, digestive discomfort and decreased exercise performance.
To minimize this, you can try a low-carb diet during the first weeks. Doing this before you completely eliminate carbs will help your body adapt better, by burning more fat.
You can also expect a change in water and mineral balance while following a ketogenic diet. So if you add some extra salt to your meals, you may help your body adjust more to the change.
What Is The Easiest Way To Do Keto?
Just like other diets. The Keto diet has many types and versions:
- The standard ketogenic diet (SKD): And that is a super low-carb, moderate-protein and high-fat diet. It normally contains a percentage of 20% protein 5% carbs and 70% fat. Which is why its called a high-fat diet.
- The cyclical ketogenic diet (CKD): This diet requires periods of higher-carb refeeds. For example, 5 days of the weeks will be ketogenic days with high-fat foods. While the two others left are high-carb days.
- The targeted ketogenic diet (TKD): This diet gives you the possibility to add carbs during workouts.
- The High-protein ketogenic diet: This one is similar to a standard ketogenic diet, but with more protein. The ratio is often 60% fat, 35% protein, and 5% carbs as usual.
Out of the 4 types, only two types are commonly used. And those are the standard and high-protein keto diet.
Keto Diet 101: What do you eat on the Keto diet?
Even though your diet will be 60-70 percent fats, you should know which ones are the best. Keto diet 101: foods to consume.
- Meat: Red meat, steak, ham.
- Fatty fish: Such as salmon, trout, tuna, and mackerel.
- Eggs: Look for pastured whole eggs
- Butter and cream: Choose grass-fed dairy products, as they’re higher in fat than any other sources.
- Cheese: Unprocessed but of course don’t overuse them
- Nuts and seeds: The best high fat seeds to consume are almonds, however, other seeds like walnuts, pumpkin seeds, and chia seeds can be included.
- Healthy oils: Essentially extra virgin olive oil, and coconut oil. Some people use avocado oil as well.
- Avocados: Whole avocados or freshly made guacamole.
- Low-carb veggies: Most green veggies are allowed, in addition to tomatoes, onions, and peppers.
- Condiments: You can consume healthy herbs and spices.
Of course, the list is still long but these are the most important ones.
What Foods Should Be Banned From Your Plate?
Keto diet 101: Clearly, you should stay far away from any food with carbs.
And just like I did with the foods recommended, I will provide you with a list of foods that need to be reduced if not eliminated on a keto diet for women:
- Sugary foods: any sugary product.
- Grains or starches: Wheat-based products.
- Fruit: All fruit, except small portions of berries like strawberries which are recommended for the cabs portion.
- Beans or legumes: Peas, kidney beans, etc.
- Root vegetables and tubers: Potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots, etc.
- Low-fat or diet products: These are highly processed and often high in carbs.
- Some condiments or sauces: These often contain sugar and unhealthy fat.
- Unhealthy fats: Limit your intake of processed vegetable oils, mayonnaise, etc.
- Alcohol: Due to their carb content, many alcoholic beverages can throw you out of ketosis.
- Sugar-free diet foods: When they don’t use sugar they use honey or syrup and any substance of that sort.
Keto Diet Plan For A week:
As I promised you there will be a surprise for you dear readers. I put together a week-long meal sheet to help get you started.
Breakfast to dinner meal ideas.
For a keto breakfast, you could have a piece of meat along with some eggs and tomatoes. For lunch take a chicken salad and season it with olive oil and feta cheese. And finally, for dinner, you could have a good piece of salmon with some cooked asparagus.
For breakfast, get some eggs and tomatoes. You could mix them up with some goat cheese and basil if you’d like. For lunch, it is possible to have some almond milk and peanut butter, cocoa powder, and stevia milkshake. Lastly, for dinner, you could get meatballs and cheddar cheese. Add some veggies if wanted.
Have a ketogenic milkshake for breakfast. A shrimp salad with avocados for lunch. And some pork chops with parmesan cheese, broccoli, and salad for dinner.
Omelet with avocado, salsa, peppers, onion, and spices are a good choice for breakfast. Have some nuts and celery sticks with guacamole and salsa for lunch. And get you some chicken stuffed with pesto and cream cheese, along with vegetables for dinner.
For a healthy breakfast, have some sugar-free yogurt with peanut butter, cocoa powder, and stevia. For lunch, you could get beef stir-fry cooked in coconut oil with vegetables. And finally, bun-less burger with bacon, egg, and cheese for dinner.
Ham and cheese omelet with vegetables are a good choice for breakfast. While ham and cheese slices with nuts would be a great lunch meal. Leaving us with just dinner. A perfect Saturday night dinner that is also keto-friendly: I advise you to get whitefish, egg, and spinach cooked in coconut oil.
This day’s keto diet for women’s meal, is very healthy and filling.
Now for the last day of the week, you could get fried eggs with bacon and mushrooms as breakfast. Where your lunch will be a burger with salsa, cheese, and guacamole. Finishing with a steak and eggs with a side salad for a good filling keto diet 101 dinner.
Always try to alternate between meats and vegetables when composing your meals, in order to benefit from what each types has to offer nutrition wise.. And make sure to be careful with your carbs. And don’t ruin your Keto diet.
Keto Diet 101: Tips
- While visiting a restaurant order some kind of meat or fish-based dish.
- Replace any high-carb or high-protein food with some veggies
- Try not to go overboard with carbs.
- Include Coconut oil in your diet.
- Take some cheese or berries if you ever crave a snack.
With this, I conclude my article. I hope that I was able to fill you in on all the things you missed about the Keto Diet plan.
Featured Image & Multimedia Sources: Unsplash, Dietdoctor.com & Giphy
Write to you soon Babes…XOXO